1. When Jesus returns, we will be rewarded for everything we have done on the earth. “For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works” (Matthew 16:27).
While the word “rewarded” usually has positive connotations, here it does not have that meaning. Here the word means simply that you will get what is coming to you as a consequence of the things you have done.
2. At the Judgment Seat, our works here on this earth will be judged.
* “…I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works” (Revelation 20:12-13).
* “And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear” (1 Peter 1:17).
* “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man’s all. For God will bring every work into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil” (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14).
Good and evil will be the criterion that will determine how our works are judged. The epic struggle between good and evil is at last being sorted out. Be assured, God is an impartial judge. He will not judge unfairly, but His judgments will be found to be justified (Psalm 51:4)
3. God will reward us in heaven for our works.
*“…I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work” (Revelation 22:12).
* “… all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works” (Revelation 2:23).
4. Evil deeds will be punished in heaven on the “day of wrath.”
* “But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,who will render to each one according to his deeds” (Romans 2:5-6).
Wrath, anger, and its consequences will one day be the portion of those who are found to be unrighteous.